Here's what's going on at Laguna Niguel and Dana Point schools.
Dana Hills High: The Capistrano Unified Council of PTSAs will hold a "No Regrets” parenting seminar at Dana Hills High School 6:45 p.m. Feb. 20.
The seminar features Dr. Harley Rotbart, professor and vice chair of pediatrics at the University of Colorado and author of the national best-selling book, No Regrets Parenting–Turning Long Days and Short Years into Cherished Moments with your Kids. The event starts at 6:45 p.m. in the Dana Hills High School Porthole Theater.
No Regrets Parenting is about time management with kids, from crib through college. But it’s different than other time management books, which are geared for efficiency with kids rather than for intimacy with them, for organizing rather than optimizing the time parents spend with their kids. How to get everything done is not the same as how to make the time spent with kids more meaningful and memorable.
Dr. Rotbart is Professor and Vice Chair of Pediatrics at the University of Colorado, where he has been pediatric specialist for the past 30 years.
The cost is $5 per person for advanced registration through Feb. 16 and $10 at the door. Register by downloading the registration form at www.cucptsa.com, or pick up a form in the school office.
Other Local Schools
Aliso Niguel High: Winter Formal 2013 will be held from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Feb. 9. The dance will be held at Club 300 at the Garden Walk in Anaheim. Tickets went on sale Monday. Have these items BEFORE standing in line:
- 2012-2013 ANHS ID card
- Cash or check (payable to ANHS)
From Jan. 28 to Feb 1, ticket prices are $70 with ASB card, $80 without ASB. Feb 1 is the last day to get guest passes. From Feb. 4-7, prices go up to $75 with ASB / $85 without. ANHS students in all grade levels are invited to attend. Current ANHS students in good standing may bring one guest with an approved guest contract. Students must have turned in a 2012-2013 Activities and Dance Contract to purchase a ticket. Guests attending must have a Guest Contract signed and approved by a school official. Contracts are available at the activities page. Tickets will only be sold before school, during lunch and after school until 3 p.m. Tickets are non-transferable, non-refundable and not for resale. Tickets will not be sold after Thursday, Feb. 7 or at the door.
R.H. Dana Exceptional Needs Facility: The monthly PTA meeting is scheduled for Friday, Feb. 1. The meeting is held at 8:45 a.m. in the school conference room.
Moulton Elementary: The school has implemented new safety rules. The most notable changes for parents to take note of include:
- Designated on-campus waiting area prior to dismissal. Parents who are picking their children up on campus at the end of school are asked to gather at the front of the school rather than elsewhere on campus.
- Do not gather at the lunch tables, at the front door of the school, at the walkway near the flagpole, at the school garden or the kindergarten playground.
- Please stay behind the double yellow line by Rooms 5 and 6.
- Do not go beyond the area near the tile wall and asphalt patch at the front of the school.
- After the bell rings at dismissal time, your children can come meet you in the waiting area or you can proceed to meet your child at another meeting place on campus (except for the walkway near the flagpole, which must remain clear).
- The back gate from/to Happy Sparrow Park will be closed during school hours (7:45 a.m. to 2:05 p.m. and to 12:50 p.m. on Thursdays.
One of the goals with these new procedures is to be able to account for adults who are in the same campus areas where students are transiting during the school day. Students are told to transit between recess, computer labs, classrooms, school office, etc. via the back of the school.
Niguel Hills Middle: The NHMS Student PTSA is working with the city of Laguna Niguel and the USS McClusky. Students are collecting the following items for babies under 18 months:
- Infant clothing, infant toys, bottles
- Baby blankets, quilts, baby bibs
- Infant washcloths and towels
- Diaper bags & diapers
- High chairs & car seats
- Cribs and play pens
- Baby strollers
- Infant sweaters
- Socks, booties, baby shoes
- Extras such as shampoos, ointments, etc.
Please leave donations (new items only) in the bin in the front office by Feb. 1 Be sure to leave your student's name on a piece of paper attached to the item so that they can be entered in a gift card raffle.
George White Elementary: The PTA Jog-a-thon is coming March 21, and the event needs sponsors. There are two opportunities to be a voluntary PTA Jog-a-thon sponsor and both are tax deductible. For $300 corporate sponsors can have their company logo printed on the back of the jog-a-thon T-shirts as well as posted on the electronic marquee. For only $100 family sponsors can have their family name or children’s name printed under G.W. Family Sponsor on the back of the T-shirt. If you have questions, please contact Melody Titus email@example.com or 774-722-4231. All donations are voluntary and much appreciated.