Calling all sport memorabilia fans: A 1979-80 Wayne Gretzky rookie card, the original UCLA Pauley Pavilion jump circle and the personal basketball memorabilia collection of coach Arnold “Red” Auerbach are up for grabs.
"The item drawing the highest bid, the Wayne Gretzky rookie card, is arguably the most valuable modern trading card on the planet," said Laguna Niguel-based SCP Auctions Inc. president and CEO David Kohler, whose company is hosting the auction.
The current bid for Gretzky's PSA graded "gem mint" 10 card is $64,850, and the Pauley Pavilion jump circle is currently at $94,948.
Bids (as of April 25) on other items in the auction include:
- Card No. 103 from the 1915 Crack Jack issue featuring “Shoeless” Joe Jackson–current high bid $42,803.
- Ty Cobb game-used bat autographed and inscribed on Aug. 9, 1925– current high bid $40,264.
- Card No. 30 from the 1915 Crack Jack issue featuring Ty Cobb–current high bid $31,390.
- Circa 1931 Lefty Grove Philadelphia Athletics game-worn uniform–current high bid $30,250.
- Red Auerbach’s 1981 Boston Celtics NBA championship ring–current high bid $18,150
- Red Auerbach’s 1,000th career win trophy–current high bid $6,050
- Patrick Joseph "Patsy" Donovan's 1910 Boston Red Sox jersey–current high bid $16,106.
- Ted Williams-signed 1937 Boston Red Sox rookie player assignment contract and photograph–$9,983.
Collectors can bid through Saturday, April 30, by logging on to scpauctions.com or calling 800-350-2273. The initial-bidding period ends at 7 p.m. PST, with the auction ending after 15 minutes has elapsed without a bid on the entire auction.