Mission Viejo moved into the No. 1 position in the Top 10 Football Poll last week, but it wasn't unanimous.
This week it is.
The Diablos' destruction of La Habra left little doubt in the voters' minds that Mission Viejo is the team to beat going forward. Historically, Mission has struggled in the playoffs against Trinity League opponents, but with quarterback Ian Fieber, running back Alex Suchesk and receiver Sean Modster in the lineup—all transfers from Orange Lutheran or Santa Margarita Catholic—the Diablos are a Trinity League team.
Well, technically they're from the South Coast League, same as Trabuco Hills. This week the Mustangs move up from No. 7 to No. 5, and can go higher if they upset No. 4 Santa Margarita on Thursday.
ORANGE COUNTY FOOTBALL POLL
Text by Steve Fryer, Orange County Register
1. Mission Viejo (4-0, 100 points) Diablos dominating in 46-21 victory over La Habra. Next: at Aliso Niguel, Fri.
2. Mater Dei (4-0, 90) Monarchs’ average margin of victory is 38 points. Next: vs. Edison at Santa Ana Stadium, Fri.
3. Servite (3-1, 80) Friars were too quick, too physical for Edison in 31-14 win. Next: vs. De La Salle of Concord at Santa Ana Stadium, Oct. 5.
4. Santa Margarita (2-2, 67) Eagles make it two in a row with 49-6 rout of Carson. Next: at Trabuco Hills, Thurs.
5. Trabuco Hills (4-0, 55) Mustangs got another quality win, 27-17, over Huntington Beach. Next: vs. Santa Margarita, Thurs.
6. La Habra (3-1, 47) Loss to Mission Viejo does not reduce chances in Southwest Division. Next: at Gahr of Cerritos, Friday.
7. Orange Lutheran (4-0, 34) Lancers winning big, but against teams that are a combined 4-10. Next: vs. Redlands East Valley at Orange Coast College, Fri.
8. JSerra (3-0, 31) Lions’ 52-13 thrashing of Buena Park pushes their points-a-game average to 48. Next: vs. Dana Hills at Saddleback College, Fri.
9. Edison (2-1, 20) Chargers lost to Servite, take on bigger challenge this week against Mater Dei. Next: vs. Mater Dei at Santa Ana Stadium, Fri.
10. Tesoro (3-1, 15) Titans went into cruise control too early in 42-34 win over Colony of Ontario. Next: at Chaparral of Temecula, Fri.
MARTIN HENDERSON'S VOTE FROM PATCH.COM
1. Mission Viejo (4-0) Diablos playing like No. 1. They get my vote—finally.
2. Mater Dei (4-0) Monarchs face Edison, will be challenged to look better than Servite did last week.
3. Servite (3-1) Already beat Long Beach Poly, what if Friars beat Concord De La Salle?
4. Santa Margarita (2-2) Five weeks in and Eagles finally facing an Orange County opponent.
5. Edison (2-1) Having lost to Servite, Chargers now face Mater Dei with big picture in mind.
6. La Habra (3-1) Props to the Highlanders for playing Mission Viejo.
7. JSerra (3-0) Playmakers Casey Eugenio, Dante Pettis continue to shine.
8. Trabuco Hills (4-0) Mustangs off to their first 4-0 start since 1992.
9. Tesoro (3-1) Titans looked like they learned lots from loss to Chino Hills, then got lazy.
10. Orange Lutheran (4-0) Not sure anyone really knows how good the Lancers are right now.
TELL US IN THE COMMENTS: How would you rank Orange County's best teams?