The students at George White Elementary will be writing letters to soldiers to brighten their Valentine’s Day.
The Dana Point 5th Marine Regiment Support Group will distribute the students’ letters. The school is asking students to get their letters by Wednesday to ensure it gets delivered in time for Valentine’s Day.
The “Kids in Community Service program is launching a voluntary letter writing program to let our military personnel know that their service is appreciated,” according to an email the school sent out. “It only takes a few minutes of your day, but it will bring lasting joy to our troops!”
The staff at George White offers these tips for young writers:
- Start with a salutation, such as “Dear Service Member” or “Dear Hero”
- Express your thanks for their selfless service
- Share a little about yourself: family, hobbies, work, pets
- Talk about life back home: sports, weather, music, and movies
- Still can’t find the words? Consider drawing or painting a picture instead.