Information provided by the US Food and Drug Adminstration
Consumers last year turned in massive numbers to FDA for health information. At year’s end, there were 7.3 million visitors who clicked on Consumer Updates at fda.gov.
These are the agency's top 10 most popular topics in 2012:
1. Disposing of unused medicines.
2. Beware: Mercury in skin products sold illegally in U.S.
3. HCG diet products—a dangerous fad.
4. Dietary supplement Hydroxycut—can be hazardous to health.
5. Examining arsenic in rice: A work in progress.
6. Tattoo inks linked to serious infection.
7. Is the common additive triclosan safe? What you should know.
8. Thickening agent may be deadly for infants.
9. Expanded advice: Take statins with care.
10. Symptoms of Cushing’s disease in dogs, and how to treat it.