Try and set aside your e-readers long enough to head over to the new Laguna Niguel Library now that it has officially opened its doors.
After numerous rain delays and contractor changes, the new digs entertained more than 200 on Sunday during its grand reopening. It was supposed to open in November 2011.
The library, located at 30341 Crown Valley Parkway, first opened in December 1987, and was originally called the Crown Valley Branch. It was changed to the Laguna Niguel Library in 1999.
On Sunday, many members of the City Council, Orange County Supervisors, kids, and parents, showed up to see all of it improvements. On hand was Council members, Robert Ming, Mayor Pro Tem, Joe Brown, Mayor of Dana Point, Lara Anderson, and Board of Supervisors Chairman John Moorlach, among others.
"," said Bates, who also resides in Laguna Niguel. "Today is another historical moment in our city's history and the result is a beautiful remodel that has so much to offer its residents. I don't think we will ever get rid of hard copy books and that is important because we want to be able to retain our history and knowledge for our young people."
The library renovation project cost about $4.9 million and was paid for by the city of Laguna Niguel, the County of Orange, and The Friends of the Laguna Niguel Library, which raised about $100,000, according to Friends of the Laguna Niguel Library President, Peggy Schwartz.
"There's no place like home, and it's so nice to be back home," Schwartz said. "We were in the "
The architect for the remodel is James C. Wilson of Thirtieth Street Architects, and the interior designer is Carol Graham of Graham Design.
Here is a list of its features:
- Nearly 67,000 items, including books, audio books, DVDs and periodicals.
- Free Wi-Fi
- Sixteen public computers with orienting access and many online services.
- An active book club
- Classes for computer basics
- Story times
- A monthly family night program
- Homework room for teens
- A 40 percent increase in size, with almost 4,000 square feet added.
- A new community room with a divider that provides space for multiple library events.
- A new college/career center
- A sliding door entryway
- ADA-compliant restrooms
- A new bookstore for the Laguna Niguel Friends of the Library.
- A new quiet study room
- Four self-checkout computers
- One stop desk for information and circulation services
Monday through Thursday: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday: 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Friends of the Library Bookstore:
Monday through Thursday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.