Teen Kelsey Burris' Toxicology Report Expected Any Day

The 16-year-old from Dana Hills High School died March 26, possibly from a drug overdose, officials report.

Officials are still waiting on a toxicology report for 16-year-old Kelsey Burris, a Dana Hills High School sophomore who died March 26, but they say the cause of death was most likely an accidental drug overdose. They said the investigation would continue.

The O.C. Sheriff's Department was called to the home of Burris' 19-year-old boyfriend at 3:17 a.m. on March 26.

"The call came in that a 16-year-old female was unresponsive, and paramedics were also called," said public information officer Jim Amormino. "When paramedics arrived, she was unresponsive. She was transported to San Clemente Hospital,  where she was pronounced dead on arrival."

At the time, Amormino said the unnamed boyfriend told police that the two fell asleep Friday evening, March 25, and when he woke up the next morning, Burris was not responding.

A memorial service was held for Burris on April 3.

"It's not unusual that the toxicology report hasn't come back yet," said O.C. sheriff's Investigator Dan Salcedo. "Typically, it takes several weeks, sometimes even months. In fact, I just received a report from a case that happened in January a few days ago."

Salcedo said the toxicology report will help to pinpoint what Burris died from and if the findings corroborate witnesses' statements last month. 

Drug use among teens is a growing problem in the county, he said, and heroin and prescription drugs are among the drugs of choice.

Salcedo said heroin can be purchased for as little as $10.

“It appears that kids are experimenting with harder-core drugs than in the past," Salcedo said. "We have seen a higher number of kids overdosing recently. The misconception is that drug addicts should look a certain way, as Hollywood portrays them. Not the case. A heroin or prescription-medication addict can look and function like an everyday person–work, school, etc. Parents need to know this.”

Salcedo suggested that parents be more attuned to what their kids are doing away from home and who their kids' peers are, as well as changes in their appearance and routine.

"I can’t really stress enough that in the death investigations we have been called out to, the kids who have overdosed kept their habit undetected. An overdose death could be that person’s first experience with that drug, or they may have used it many times. However,  the end result was their death. They don’t get a second chance to learn their lesson. It’s unfortunate to say, but parents should really pay attention to what may be missing from their medicine cabinets."

Jodi Barber April 22, 2011 at 04:20 AM
Salcedo hit it right on the nose! With an overdose death, there is no second chance! Why risk your entire future? You are playing Russian roulette with your life! But, it's not only the parents medicine cabinet, it's the grandparents! Many are given Vicotin for arthritis and other pains! If your son or daughter gives you reason to not trust them, you have every right as a parent to be snoopy. With all the new technology today, check their calls/texts, online chats and even their whereabouts!


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »