Planning on staying home to ring in the New Year rather than doing it up at a local hotel in Dana Point or Laguna Niguel?
If you are throwing a party at your home, chances are pretty good there will be adult beverages, a.k.a. cocktails, champagne and liquor being served.
You might want to keep these factoids in mind according to Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
In 2011, 9,878 people were killed as a result of drunk driving, a 2.5-percent decrease from the year before, according to Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
Follow these tips from MADD to help host a safe party:
- Offer non-alcoholic beverages or “mocktails” for those guests who don’t wish to drink alcohol.
- Use fruit juice or other non-carbonated bases if planning to serve an alcoholic punch. Alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream faster with a carbonated base.
- Serve plenty of food to keep guests from drinking on an empty stomach.
- Serve food that isn’t too salty, which will lead to increased consumption of fluids.
- Play party games to keep guests entertained. Planned activities make for less active alcohol consumption.
- Make sure that every group in attendance has designated a driver that is not drinking.
- Have the phone number of a taxi company for those who need a ride, or offer guests to spend the night on a couch or pull-out bed.